A doula – a trained childbirth assistant – supports a woman and her partner through pregnancy, birth, and into early parenthood, offering the knowledge and skills of a trained birth professional and the loving support of a good friend. Having a doula helps couples feel confident about having a baby, even in a foreign country.
According to DONA (Doulas of North America), “Women have complex needs during childbirth. In addition to the safety of modern obstetrical care, and the love and companionship provided by their partners, women need consistent, continuous reassurance, comfort, encouragement and respect. They need individualised care based on their circumstances and preferences. The role of the birth doula encompasses the non-clinical aspects of care during childbirth.”
Doulas are becoming increasingly popular in Korea, especially for couples with little knowledge of the highly-medicalized Korean system as well as limited language skills. With C-section rates of over 40% and episiotomies performed routinely, the need for evidence-based care is dire even in cosmopolitan cities like Seoul. However, finding a certified, professional, reliable doula is harder than it seems, and in certain birthing facilities, a good command of the Korean language is not only a plus, but a necessity. Moreover, our doulas are constantly up-to-date on pregnancy and birth-related medical research, and regularly attend seminars and training courses aimed at teaching them techniques to make labour shorter and easier.
The day your baby is born is a day you will never forget. Make a valuable investment in your wellbeing and that of your baby by hiring a doula!
Morning Calm Labour Support Packages
Our Standard Doula Support Package is especially designed for first time parents. It includes:
- support during pregnancy: telephone and email support starting as soon as you book your doula;
- two antenatal visits: your doula will visit you in your home or birthing facility to discuss what you want your birth to be like, what you want her role to be, and to provide basic information on the process of labour and birth so you are prepared when the time comes. She can also meet with your doctor to help you navigate the information you are provided and ask the right questions;
- labour and birth: continuous support for the labouring mom and her partner, from when labour is established until after the birth, including breastfeeding support. Your doula will be on-call 24/7 from when you are 38 weeks pregnant, meaning she will be immediately contactable at any time of the day or night and ready to join you at home or your birthing facility;
- postnatal visit: for support, information, and breastfeeding assistance, on the day after the baby’s birth, or once you return home.
Our Standard Labour Support Package costs ₩1,100,000 (VAT included). Our doulas are willing to travel anywhere on the Korean peninsula; however in case of long-distance travel, transportation fees apply and accommodation arrangements must be agreed upon in due time.
Couples attending our Childbirth Preparation or HypnoBirthing classes, as well as second-time parents, are eligible for our Discount Labour Support Package. Aside from the standard support during pregnancy, labour and birth, this Package includes only one antenatal visit and one postnatal visit (or two prenatal visits and no postnatal), and is priced at ₩935,000 (VAT included).
For either package, additional antenatal or postnatal visits can be booked at any time before or after your baby’s birth, at a rate of ₩88,000 per two-hour visit (VAT included).
If after booking a doula you decide to cancel, you may receive a refund. If you cancel:
- more than 4 weeks before your due date: 75% refund of the total cost of your package (less costs of any antenatal visits made and any childbirth classes attended or that you may wish to attend in the future);
- between 4 weeks and 2 weeks before your due date: 50% refund of the total cost of your package (less costs of any antenatal visits made and any childbirth classes attended or that you may wish to attend in the future);
- less than 2 weeks before your due date: no refund.
Support for C-sections
Doulas are not only for moms planning a natural birth! You may also choose to have your doula accompany you in hospital on the day of elective caesarean, to provide support and information and help with relaxation before the birth, assist mom during the procedure (if allowed by your hospital), and help with breastfeeding, and she can answer questions about speeding recovery and let you know what to expect in the first few days. Should she not be allowed in the OR, she will be with you before the birth, provide support to the partner during the procedure, and join you in the postnatal room immediately after your baby is born to assist with breastfeeding. For this service, the same rates as the Labour Support Packages apply.
If you discover you will need to have an elective caesarean after signing the contract, and do not require your doula to be with you immediately before and after the birth of your baby, an amended service is available. Your doula will still provide antenatal and postnatal visit(s) included as part of your labour support, and she will visit you as soon as you are ready after your baby is born to assist with breastfeeding and with any parenting questions. You must advise your doula of your decision to schedule a planned caesarean section at least 2 weeks before your due date for this amended-service refund to apply, as most elective C-sections are performed in Korea between the 37th and 38th week of pregnancy. If you choose this service, you will receive a refund of ₩300,000 on your fees.